Posted on Tuesday, June 27th, 2023
The Final 6 Hunt: Where does your team stand?
Photo credit: Render Creative NZ
With five teams virtually tied for 6th place in the Sal’s NBL, it's a great time to clarify exactly the rules on a jigsaw puzzle that is sure to get clearer in the coming weeks.
- Teams get 2 points for a win. The more points you have, the higher up the ladder you are.
- If two teams are tied on points at the end of the season, the head-to-head record between those teams is the first tie-breakers. Who won the two-game regular-season series?
- If it was a tie, who’s points differential was better across those two games?
- If the points differential is exactly the same, then who has the best overall league points differential?
- If three teams or more are tied on points, a mini-ladder is created encompassing games involving only the tied teams.
- Most wins goes top of the mini-ladder.
- If two teams are tied in the mini-ladder, we look at the head-to-head (like above).
- If three or more teams are still tied in the mini-ladder we make another mini-ladder, this time ranking the teams on points differential from the games involving only the tied teams.
Teams locked in for the Sal’s NBL Final 6
- Auckland Tuatara
- Night n’ Day Otago Nuggets
- Franklin Bulls
Teams Still Alive:
- Canterbury Rams (10 wins guarantees Final 6)
- Wellington Saints (10 wins guarantees Final 6)
- NBS Nelson Giants (Final 6 depends on results to come)
- Southland Sharks (Final 6 depends on results to come)
- Hawke’s Bay Hawks (Final 6 depends on results to come)
- Manawatū Jets (Final 6 depends on results to come)
- Steelformers Taranaki Airs (Final 6 depends on results to come)